Why You Should Sleep on Your Left Side (Benefits of Left Side Sleeping)
Your sleeping position plays a very important role in maintaining your overall health and should not be neglected. Many people prefer to sleep on their backs. However, side sleeping ( with your legs and torso straight) towards the left is a perfect position. It is good for your spine and can also get rid of neck and joint pain. Apart from that, it can also help you out with acidity. In this sleeping posture, your airways will always stay open. Hence, your snoring will also decrease. Because of this reason, it is also a great option for people suffering from sleep apnea. As per reports, around 15 percent of adults prefer to sleep in this position. However, there is just one disadvantage. Since a portion of your face will also lie against the pillow, you may develop wrinkles. However, the positives outweigh the negatives by far. Here are 6 benefits of side sleeping:
- Boosts the Lymphatic system: As per Ayurveda, sleeping on your left side will increase the efficiency of your lymphatic system and will get rid of the wastes faster. Western research also confirms the same fact. On the other hand, if you sleep towards the right, then your lymphatic system will become sluggish.
- It can improve your digestion: When you sleep on your left, it becomes much easier for the food remains to travel from the large intestine to the colon. As a result, when you wake up, you won’t suffer from bowel troubles. Apart from that, sleeping on your left will also ensure that your stomach and pancreas lies in a natural position, which in turn will make sure that your digestive system is working properly.
- It is very good for your heart: Doctors always suggest pregnant women sleep on their left, because it boosts blood circulation in the heart. However, it doesn’t just apply to pregnant women. Any person can sleep on their left to improve the blood circulation.
- It is helpful during pregnancy: Apart from improving the blood circulation, sleeping on the left can help pregnant women in many other ways. To start with, it will boost the circulation in the other parts of your body as well like fetus and uterus. And it will also make sure that the uterus stays in its proper position.
- It can reduce the symptoms of heartburn: As per a study, it has been found that sleeping on your left can get rid of heartburn because the stomach lies towards the left. Similarly, sleeping on the right will aggravate the symptoms. Doctors suggest that whenever you are suffering from heartburn, you should sleep on your left for a short time to get rid of the symptoms.
- It can reduce back pain: In case you are suffering from continuous back pain, sleeping on your left can help you a lot. Because, when you sleep on the left side, you take the pressure away from the spine.
All these are good reasons which should convince you to start sleeping on your left. However, if you are a patient of glaucoma or suffering from any heart condition, then you may not be benefited much. In case you are not sure about what sleeping position suits you best, it is better to consult a medical expert.